Saturday, April 05, 2008

New Rule

As of Thursday evening there is a new rule in the Brown family. But first some background. Daniel is in bed sleeping, Philip and I are working on our respective computers in the office and Allan is listening to Patch the Pirate in the living room.

While working Allan hollers from the bathroom that he needs some assistance and so I get up from my desk to give some aid. Upon stepping out into the hallway I smell a faint but distinct smoke smell coming from the direction of the kitchen. So I went into the kitchen, made sure all the burners and oven were off before going to the bathroom. I didn't find anything but the smoke smell was somewhat stronger. Believing that my ultra-sensative pregnant nose was working overtime I went to Allan's aid and then back to working on the computer.

Fifteen minutes after the first incident Allan came into the office saying, "mommy, something is burning in the living room, it smells like smoke." Ah, ha! now someone else has confirmed what I thought I was smelling. As I went down the hallway towards the living room it was very apparent that something was burning somewhere though there was no smoke to be seen. The air was acrid! I called for Philip and we started the search: new stereo that perhaps doesn't have enough air circulation...no, electrical outlets or appliances....no, microwave- stove - fridge - toaster....no, but the smell is getting stronger and it has to be coming from somewhere. So Philip and I split up, I went to the basement and Philip went to the two floors above us. Neither place had any signs or smell of smoke.

When we returned to the entryway of our home I will have to admit I was starting to get a little nervous. The smell was awful and so we started looking at other options: was the fire in the walls or floorboards, perhaps a bad light fixture. When there's no visible smoke it's really a shot in the dark. As Philip was checking the light fixtures (BTW: there was no smoke smell in the rest of our apartment) I decided to check the living room lights - perhaps one of them was going bad. Upon inspecting the first lamp I discovered the problem (by this time there was a wisp of smoke coming up from above the lamp shade) - Allan's sock! As I pulled it off it was evident that this was what had caused the awful stench. It was blackened and smoking. Philip and I just looked at Allan and asked him why he put his sock there. His answer was very simple, "I put it there to warm it up." Hence the new rule at our house: You may not warm socks (or any other item) on light bulbs! It's one of those moments as a parent that you laugh as much from the hilarity of something as you do the sudden relief from a tense situation.

10 comments:

Jon Plank said...

great idea... just needs to try less wattage

Charity said...

That's too funny! What a smart little guy he is. Reminds me of the science teacher I had in high school who warmed her feet by putting them into a warm oven in the teacher's lounge during breaks. (I saw this with my own eyes!) BTW, thanks for Kathryn's card; it came today, and she really liked it!

dorcas said...

Makes perfect sense to me! LOL

David & April said...

Well what can we say, he's a quick one! Funny, yet scary! HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALLAN!! Big 4!!

Toots said...

Curt and I enjoyed this one! Yes, in deed, Allen is quite smart...finding a way to warm his socks. Just glad you discovered it before further complications set in!

Sonja said...

I had a moment of truly identifying with you. We had one of those smoke smells in the dorm the other day. I had a few nervous moments myself. We finally figured that it was probably the fan in the elevator. Anyway, I felt your relief!! I enjoy your kids so much. They are a fantastic addition to campus.

Marianne Brown said...

Jon - thanks...I don't think I'll mention that to him.
Charity - I wonder if Alex will do anything like this? (note: check lamp first)
Dorcas - you just wait! I'm sure Blake will pull a few!
David and April - wonder if he takes after his uncle?!
Laura - It was very resourceful of him I'll have to admit.

Martha C said...

That would have made me so nervous! I probably would have started hauling my pictures outside in fear the walls were going to fall in! :-)

Kimberly said...

At about that age, I tried something very similar w/caramels...did not make my mom happy!:) What a mess!

sankey family said...

Reminds me of the time one of my boys laid their story book on top of the bedroom lamp. Thing was, we came home from an errand to find the house very "burny" smelling....when I found that smoking book, my heart almost stopped. Boy, did I lecture for the next 20 minutes or so and let's just say I scared them bad enough that nothing like that has happened again...
All I can say, is thank God for His protection in this and other situations we parents find ourselves in!

~ Melodie