Saturday, June 27, 2009

Storm



This week has been rather busy with the garden and having vacation Bible school each evening. We're also getting ready to go camping next week which adds to the busyness. I did have to show my folks the pictures of my garden. This year I have a stand of corn that far outshines any in the past three years. It's been beautiful. Last week we had a storm that knocked over some rows on the far side. Philip took some posts and chicken wire and propped the rows up then we tied each stalk to the chicken wire. On Friday morning around 2:00 we had a really strong thunderstorm roll through that had lots of wind. I could tell by the lightening flashes that the wind had decimated the corn we hadn't propped up (which was the tallest corn). The next morning confirmed my fears. All of the tallest corn that had tassled was knocked over. However it hadn't been uprooted or snapped off...just pushed over. Philip took the boys and ran to Lowes for some posts and twine. We then spend the morning putting up stakes, tying three levels of support and then individually tying each stalk to the support. I don't know if it will make it or not but we've done everything we can at this point. Poor Philip had hives all over his neck by the time we were done but I'm so thankful for his willingness to salvage the mess. The top picture was taken today and the bottom picture was taken yesterday morning.

No comments: