Thursday, November 05, 2009

Politics and Healthcare and UPDATE

UPDATE: If you care to read the 1,990 pages (can we say 'bigger government'?) of the House version of the bill you can do so at http://docs.house.gov/rules/health/111_ahcaa.pdf It does look as though the pro-life democrats will be able to offer an amendment today that would exclude 'most' abortion coverage. It looks like people could pay for a rider out of their own pocket if they wish to have an abortion option.

At times I chaff at my inability to be more involved in the current political climate. It's not possible for me to travel to rallies, set up meetings with my representatives, etc. The responsibilities of being a wife and mother keep me more than busy. But in light of the absolute insanity that's being propagated by our elected officials and knowing that it's not only going to directly impact my immediate family but also generations to come I dare not just sit back with my mouth shut. That's exactly what too many people have done on too many occasions and hence the downward spiral we find ourselves in as a nation.

So I do what I can. I've called my senators, representatives, and the White House more times in the past six months than all previous years combined. At times I still feel helpless because the people who are supposed to be speaking on my behalf don't seem to be listening to me at all. But somehow I still believe there are enough people in the United States who possess enough common sense that if we'd all speak up we would be heard. This insanity has to stop!

So here's where I'm at today. The healthcare bill could be voted on as soon as Saturday night. From bits and pieces that I've heard (it's insane that they won't release the plan for people to read...smells like a rat to me!) it alarms me the control our government would have in overseeing every aspect of our healthcare. Maybe I'm so concerned because I have a bad feeling for what it would mean to the scores of people like my mother who depend on the healthcare profession.

I recommend you go here: http://www.capwiz.com/afanet/callalert/index.tt?alertid=14295801 and watch the video clip by Rep. Mike Pence (about 1/2 way down the page) and then contact your representative immediately.

I don't blog about politics here because that was never the purpose of this blog. But I will say that as I watch our government there is a gnawing fear that tries to grip my gut. History really does repeat itself doesn't it? It's just a different time, a different country, a different group of people but account is still the same. You would think we would learn a lesson.

1 comment:

Julia said...

Maryanne;

I enjoyed this post and thank you for the link. I wasn't much of a student in my younger years, but as I try to educate myself as an adult, I am amazed at how history has so much to teach us. If only "we the people" had a clue of world history, we would see our own reflection in the mirror of countries and civilazations that have fallen before us.