Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Another Healthy Recipe

I fixed Chocolate Ice Cream Pies for our discipleship group last week. My grandma Slagenweit used to make these and I think she got the recipe from a parishioner when they pastored at the Canoe Creek Brethren in Christ Church.

Chocolate Ice Cream Pies

Pie Shells: 1 package Pillsbury Devils Food Cake Mix
                 3/4 cup Pillsbury ready to spread chocolate frosting
                 3/4 cup water
                 1/4 cup oil
Heat oven to 350. Generously grease bottom, sides and rim of 2 nine inch round cake pans or long pan. In large bowl blend all shell ingredients and beat 2 minutes at the highest speed. Spread batter in bottom of pans. Do not spread up sides of pans. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Do not over bake. Cake will collapse to form shells. Cool completely. 
 In a large bowl blend 1/2 gallon of vanilla ice cream until smooth. Spread evenly in center of shell leaving 1/2 inch rim. Have remainder of can of frosting mix softened in hot water. Drop by spoonfuls * on top of ice cream and swirl with knife. Store in freezer.
*Note - I tried this but it always "globs" on me so it's easier to melt and drizzle. My grandma was able to swirl but I can't seem to do it....perhaps if the ice cream was softer?

No comments: