Tuesday, January 21, 2014

10 Reasons to Love Snow and Cold Weather



1. Snow covers the deadness of winter - all of the sudden everything that was brown, dirty, and muddy becomes a wonderland. 
2. There's no pressure to be coordinated in your wardrobe choices - warm and serviceable becomes the rage. 
3. It's nature's way of giving you an excuse to stay home and make memories. 
4. Children have no complaints about spending hours getting exercise when there's snow on the ground. 
5. It's a good way to slow down and not feel guilty about rushing to get to appointments. It's the one time that in the city it's safer to be slower.
6. You can get a full cardio workout with just 20 minutes of shoveling. 
7. Winter tends to be overcast and can be dark and dreary. Snow makes everything bright even if it is overcast. And if the sun is shining is dazzlingly bright.
8. When you can't go anywhere you can tackle home projects that have been waiting for a block of uninterrupted time. 
9. You get to act your inner age and no one looks at you strange. 
10. When your refrigerator goes out, you can put all your frozen and fridge items outside and not lose a thing.  
oh.....here's another one:
11. That cold weather (that stays below freezing for large periods of time) are what kill the bugs that can be so problematic the following summer. I have to do much less dusting and spraying during the summer if it's been preceded by a "hard" winter. 



It's interesting (and disheartening) to read the comments on news media and FB about the weather. But I've also noticed a pattern - the same people who are fussing now will also be fussing about the exact opposite type of weather this summer. 

 I enjoy each season and the way they work together to create balance. They are a reassurance of God's promise in Genesis 8:22 "While the earth remains, Seedtime and harvest, And cold and heat, And summer and winter, And day and night Shall not cease."  Winter doesn't last forever and while it's here, I'm thankful. 

Oh....perhaps #12 could be - Hitting a patch of  ice will give you an adrenaline rush better than any roller coaster and it's free (unless you forget [or someone else near you forgets] that you turn the direction you do not want to go and/or your speed is excessive for conditions - then it can get really expensive). 

And my boys would say #13 - school snow days!

UPDATE: 1/29/2014 - the boys reminded me today - in cold weather you can get water right out of the tap that needs no ice at all!

5 comments:

Regina said...

I agree! Snow makes me happy! :)

MarianneBrown said...

Regina - So good to hear from you. I know, sometimes I wonder if the people who are complaining really like the dreary and brown? There's a magic - sort of like Christmas - when it snows.

lauralavon said...

I love this post! I hadn't thought specifically about why I love winter. You captured it beautifully!

MarianneBrown said...

Laura - thanks for taking the time to write. Somewhere I read some advice a veteran missionary gave to her children and one of the things she said was, "Don't complain about anything, even the weather." And I've worked on that. I want my children to see the beauty of thunderstorms, ice, overcast skies and be thankful for the variety God chooses. And to look at each positively. I will have to admit that I'm probably more able to say that because I don't own my own home and my husband lives within walking distance of work. It also means that I of all people had better not complain! Blessings on you!

Denise said...

Love your post, Marianne! You named at least 15 Gifts! We are blessed to live in this beautiful world God gave us for sure. You are so right ~ snow is magical...and it so reminds me of His precious blood as they cover all the dreary, dirty, ugly.Thank you for sharing.